I found this recipe going through my grandmother’s old newspaper recipe cut-outs and I know why she kept it this long. These crisp, crunchy, sweet meringue cookies are so delicious. You can use food coloring to make them festive for whatever holiday you wish. Pastels for Spring/Easter. Red and green for Christmas. Pink or Blue for Baby Showers…the list goes on. This recipe yields about 6 dozen they are perfect for get-togethers and office parties.
4 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1 1/4 cup Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon Almond Extract
15-20 drops Food Coloring (depending how deep color you want the cookies)
1. Preheat oven to 235 Degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Wipe bowl, whisk beater blade with vinegar or lemon juice to make certain all grease is gone, wipe dry with paper towel.
3. Beat egg whites on medium speed until frothy.
4. Add cream of tartar, beat until soft peaks form.
5. Turn up speed to medium high, and sugar 1 Tablespoon at a time.
6. Beat until stiff peaks form.
7. Gently stir in food coloring.
8. Drop by rounded teaspoon full (or pipe from bag) unto two parchment lined greased cookie sheets.
9. Place both sheets of meringues in oven for 45 minutes. Turn oven off completely.
10. Leave meringue cookies in oven (off) all night.
11. Awake to perfect pretty meringue cookies.